Cadhay Tudor Manor House
Cadhay, an historic Tudor manor of special architectural interest in the rural landscape of East Devon
Cadhay was built by John Haydon in 1550 on the site of an earlier house. His nephew Robert built the Long Gallery, a feature of late 16th century housebuilding, closing in the south side of the house to form a courtyard that became known as the Court of the Sovereigns because of the four statues of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth that stand over the doors. Robert was married to Joan, the daughter of Sir Amias Poulett, Privy Councillor, former ambassador to France and Keeper of Mary Queen of Scots during her imprisonment.Her cousin, William Paulet, was also on the Privy Council for all for Tudor monarchs which might explain why the courtyard is adorned with statues of each of them.